So a little while ago I posted my version of Diabloceratops here.
It was inspired by Dave Hone hosting a guest post from Palaeontologist Jim Kirkland introducing Diabloceratops.
In the comments a discussion emerged about the nasal horn and Jim Kirkland, one of the authors of the paper, pointed out that Diabloceratops had a small secondary horn in front of the other one.
I’d just done a rough image and by the time I started on a polished version I’d completely forgotten the correction. *Sigh*.
Accuracy, and particularly anatomical accuracy, are the bread and butter of palaeontologists, they live and breathe this stuff. Why is it so important? Simply put, those details allow palaeontologists to understand the flow of life through time, the interrelatedness and relationships between animals, diet and even sometimes their behaviour.
Of course, that it was one of the paper’s authors who’d pointed out the facts and I’d blithely gone on my way without taking a moment to learn something new is pretty damn poor too!
So, if you’re out there Mr. Kirkland, here’s a very small, but not necessarily insignificant, revision.(now with bonus prettier frill)
Ok, so this looks nothing like the chicken picture(or whatever the heck that thing was) that I said I was working on in that post below.
I decided to do a little side project with one of my favourite animals, Styracosaurus.
Previously king of the bizarre head gear, now ousted by such freaks as Diabloceratops and that emo fringe bearing Kosomoceratops. Someone had to give the old favourite some love.
So I thought I’d better give Styracosaurus some attention before returning to polar dinosaurs(oops, did I let that slip?). Ok, so it’s a bit of a cliche, the charging horned dinosaur, but I really do need to get it out of my system.
Work in progress. Working in the values. Colour to come later.
PS: if there are any passing palaeontologists let me know what you think of the anatomy!
I enjoyed my Diabloceratops speed paint but after taking another look at the reference pictures from over on Archosaur Musings I wasn’t happy with the proportions. So being unable to leave well enough alone and quite liking the diabolical appearance of the animal I spent around an hour generally messing around with the speed paint, moving bits, painting over and adding detail until I got it looking more like the pictures.
I worked in black and white again but did a final overlay layer with some colour for fun. This is a really common technique in Photoshop work, and to be honest I really don’t like it.
Since it literally just overlays transparent colour on black it ends up looking muddy and lifeless. To me it’s a signature ‘lazy Photoshop technique’ , throws some colour on without any of the richness from underpainting or consideration for well, the use of colour!
So with that in mind and general laziness setting in I played around with colourising the tonal image using a textured colour layer in the hope of a livelier result. After a whole couple of minutes of messing around here’s the outcome:
It’s better than the usual result but I still think it’s a pretty naff way of adding colour, there’s enough grey coming through from the original image that the colours are still quite dead. If I try it again I’d look at colourising the tonal image more specifically, or actually starting in colour.
A guest post by palaeontologist Jim Kirkland over on Archosaur Musings caught my attention last week with the announcement of a new horned dinosaur ‘Diabloceratops‘.
I was looking for an excuse to just throw together a speed painting to loosen up a little and this sucker came along at just the right time. What a fantastic looking beastie.
I just wanted to stick to values again, so it’s black and white, 30 mins from start to finish to keep it loose.
I’m starting to learn that I get the feel I want if I imagine I’m sculpting with the paint. Chunks of light and shade seem to work best, then work detail into the areas of interest.
Meh, I’ve got a long way to go…